Sophomore quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw for 323 yards and a career-high five touchdowns, while junior running back Jeremy Wright rushed for 100 yards and a score as 10th-ranked Louisville improved to 9-0 for the first time in school history with a dominating 45-17 win over visiting Temple on Saturday afternoon at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
Overall, the Cardinals tallied more than 500 yards of total offense for the second straight game while improving to 4-0 in BIG EAST Conference action for the first time since joining the league. Louisville has been victorious in six straight home games, the longest home-winning streak under head coach Charlie Strong.
Overall, Bridgewater was 19-for-28 with two passing touchdowns to senior receiver Andrell Smith (4 catches, 61 yards), one to sophomore tight end Ryan Hubbell (2 catches, 92 yards) and one each to sophomore receivers DeVante Parker (2 catches, 52 yards) and Eli Rogers (2 catches, 27 yards). The five scoring throws are the most for a Louisville player since Brian Brohm had five in a win over Middle Tennessee on Sept. 6, 2007. On the ground, Wright needed just 10 carries to reach 100 yards for the third time this season, while junior Senorise Perry added 79 yards on 14 carries.
Defensively, junior linebacker Preston Brown led the Cardinals with 10 tackles, including one for loss, while freshman linebacker Keith Brown added eight stops to go with one tackle for loss, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Sophomore safety Calvin Pryor chipped in with eight stops and sophomore linebacker Deiontrez Mount added six tackles, including one sack and two tackles for loss.
Up next, Louisville returns to the road for a BIG EAST Conference matchup at Syracuse on Saturday at the Carrier Dome. Kickoff time and television arrangements will be announced later this weekend.
A complete recap of Saturday’s win, with links to stats, notes, quotes, press conference video and photos, is available here at UofLsports.com.
- Louisville has won eight of its last nine games at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
- UofL has registered 14 wins in its last 15 regular-season games. The Cardinals have secured wins in six-straight BIG EAST contests.
- Saturday’s win marked the Cardinals’ largest margin of victory against a BIG EAST opponent (28 points) since 2006. The Cardinals’ largest margin of victory came against Rutgers (48-17) in 2006.
- Louisville’s 31 points in the first half were the most points the Cardinals have scored in the opening 30 minutes against a BIG EAST opponent since joining in 2005. It’s the most points the Cardinals have scored in the first half against any conference opponent since they dropped 42 on Cincinnati (Conference USA) on Nov. 27, 2004.
- Bridgewater surpassed 300 yards passing for the third time this season… He has thrown a touchdown pass in eight-straight games… Bridgewater has 18 passing touchdowns this season, tied for Ed Rubbert (1984) and Chris Redman (1997) for 10th most in a single season… For his career, Bridgewater has tossed 32 touchdowns, tying him with Browning Nagle (1989-90) for eighth most in a career… Bridgewater finished the game by connecting with a total of nine receivers.